Biryani is one of the most popular dishes. Not just in India, but Biryani has its lovers all across the globe. Now although Biryani has various types, but the Chicken Biryani has found itself to be the most preferred amongst the people. But for those who don’t know or haven’t tried, the Mutton Biryani is equally cringe worthy and delicious.
The best thing about it is that it is really easy to make and cooks up within an hour. There is no need to go to restaurants and pay hefty sums of money to eat Mutton Biryani. Instead, one can just follow the steps mentioned below and make a delicious Mutton Biryani at their homes. So let us take a look on how to make Mutton Biryani at home.
Firstly, we should take a look at the ingredients which will be required to cook Mutton Biryani at home. These are –
- 500 gm basmati rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp black cumin seeds
- 6 cardamom
- 2 cinnamon
- 6 cloves
For Mutton Marination
- 1 kg Mutton
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- coriander powder
- cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp red chilli powder
- 4 sliced onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- Saffron strands
- 4 green chillies
Please note that the given ingredients are as per the serving of 4 people. If you want to make more or less Biryani, then you must adjust the ingredients accordingly. Also, if you want to add anything extra, then do not hesitate. It will take around an hour of cooking time to prepare Mutton Biryani. It is advisable to prepare few things in advance such as slice the onions, chop the tomatoes, make a ginger garlic paste and marinate the Mutton etc. After that, you can proceed to cook the main dish.
Steps to prepare Mutton Biryani
Now there are two parts of Biryani. One is the Mutton and other is the rice. So first we will work on the preparation of Mutton and then look forward to Biryani.
To begin with, you should wash the Mutton under running water and dry it with a clean cloth.
- Now you should put the Mutton in a bowl and add all the ingredients which are mentioned above for Marination to the bowl and over the Mutton.
- Rub the mixture well with your fingers to ensure that the marination is evenly spread over the Mutton.
- Ideally, you can keep the Mutton in a refrigerator to be marinated overnight.
- But in case, you are in a hurry then you can bore holes in the Mutton with a fork which will allow the Mutton to be marinated within a couple of hours.
Now you can look forward to Biryani.
- Firstly, boil some rice and keep it aside. Then dissolve some saffron in ¼ cup milk and side by side heat some ghee in a pan and fry some cashews and raisins in it.
- Now, you can move ahead and fry some thinly slice onion in the same ghee.
- Now pour ghee in a deep bottomed vessel and allow it to heat. When it is quite hot, then you can add spices such as bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and red chillies to it.
- Stir the mixture for a while and keep the Mutton in room temperature. Now add the Mutton along with chopped onions and ginger garlic paste to the mixture and cook it until the Mutton is tender.
- Roast the Mutton and add garam masala. Remove the Mutton and add rice, then out the Mutton back in a layer and then another layer of rice over it. You can add some dry fruits over each layer to add to the taste.
- Now the dish is almost prepared. Just pour the saffron milk over it evenly. Cover the vessel with a lid and cook on low flame for around 10 minutes approximately.
- Remove from the fire. Add garnish ingredients such as coriander, kasoori methi, also known as dry fenugreek leaves, mint and onions. Serve hot with raita or salan.
The Last Words
So we have seen how Mutton Biryani is almost as good if not better than the chicken Biryani. Though you must have mostly tried the chicken Biryani, but the Mutton Biryani is just as amazing. It is a great dish and can be easily prepared at home. You just need to follow the steps mentioned above carefully.
You should note that the preparation of Mutton Biryani includes preparing the Mutton and then the rice and then mixing them to form the delicious Mutton Biryani.
So just follow as guided above and thereby you can make a tasty Biryani at your home and enjoy the meal with your family and friends.