You may be religious oriented and would like to make a tour of the beautiful region of South India and visit the temples there to seek the blessings of the Almighty. If this is what you have in mind, then you itinerary is to start from Tamil Nadu state’s capital – Chennai. It is regarded to be a great centre for temple architecture and cultural heritage. It also showcases the perfect blend of Dravidian, Dutch and Portuguese traditions.
Different places to visit during the trip to South India
South India temple tour package visiting the following places:
- Chennai: The prominent places of this beautiful city could be explored in half a day. Some of the places to visit here are St. George Fort, Fort Museum, St. Mary’s Church, and other popular attractions.
- Mahabalipuram: This city is closer to Chennai by just 70 km. It is regarded to be South India’s port city that was established during the 7th It is after Mammala, the Pallava King that this place has been named. It does boast of having numerous historic monuments, which dates back to the 7th and 9th century and presently listed among the popular World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. It also offers the visitors with few of the finest Dravidian architecture, the examples of which include the Pandava Rathas, Arjuna’s Penance and the Shore temple.
- Kanchipuram: The next destination is Kanchipuram that can be explored within half day. It is popular for its exotic silk sarees and temples. From Mahabalipuram, it is just about 65km. The tourist can check out the ancient temples here like the Kamakshi Amman Temple, Ekambaranatha, Kailasanatha Temple, etc.
- Tanjore: This region is said to have flourished under Mahrattas and Nayaks rule. It is also a haven for those who are religiously minded, while serving as Treasure house for art and architecture for centuries. It does showcases exquisite handicrafts such as pith work, art plate, bronze icons, and classical musical instruments of the region and Thanjavur paintings. Tourists can also visit the Brihadeshwara temple, where art lovers are sure to find here numerous examples of Dravidian art as well as Chola Fresco paintings to their delight.
- Madurai: It is the last halt in the state of Tamil Nadu, where one can get to experience the rich cultural heritage that dates back to more than 2500 years. It is also stated to be the state’s oldest city, offering attractions such as Meenakshi Sundareshwar, Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, etc.
The temple tour can also take the person to Kerala, where there are several places of religious interest.
- Periyar: It boasts of its serene waterways and dense greens and is also a popular wildlife sanctuary. Tourists can come across animals like elephants, leopards, tigers, antelopes, bison, monkey, wild boar, sambar and birds of different types.
- Kumarakom: A houseboat will take the tourist to this place through the huge Vembanad Lake. The bird sanctuary is a hotspot for ornithologists, nature and bird lovers.
There are indeed numerous places to visit in South India and hence, the itinerary has to be carefully planned.