There are many Indian herbs which are very rich in nutrients and other herbal content which is considered good for the health. Many green-leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, dandelion leaves, turnip greens, cabbage, etc. are the edible green leaves which are rich in nutrients and can even be consumed lightly steamed.
One such other vegetable is the sorrel leaves which are chock-full of nutrients. The taste, nutrition and healthfulness are certain benefits which make it taste distinct and flavourful. Another name for sorrel is the ambada or sorrel which is basically a perennial herb, also known as sheep sorrel, spinach dock, and grass because of its sharp, tart and sour taste. This plant is also known for its health benefits. It is found in the southern part of our country which is rich in iron content. Many dishes like ambadichi curry, ambadichi bhajji recipe is made in Maharashtra where they are well-known for its taste.
Benefits of ambada or sorrel leaves-
- Helps in weight loss-The leaves of sorrel are rich in a number of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and carbohydrates. It contains a very negligible amount of fat and is low in calories. Therefore, eating sorrel leaves in any form is a good option for health conscious people who want to lose weight.
- Improves eye-sight-For those suffering from vision problems, adding these leaves to the diet could be of great help.This plant is enriched with the goodness of vitamin A which helps in curing night blindness and improving the eye-sight.
- Helps as a detox- Another benefit of eating sorrel leaves are the flavonoids and other antioxidants it has that make it a good diuretic and purgative. It helps in gushing out harmful toxins from the body. It also contains protocatechuic acid that aids in body detox. Sorrel tea can be made and even sorrel-infused water is often used for detoxification of the body.
- Lower blood pressure- In today’s changing lifestyle and eating habits. we see a lot of people falling victim to hypertension due to stress and work pressure. Sorrel leaves can help keep the blood pressure of the body under control. It is rich in antioxidants that help in lowering the bad cholesterol levels and also triglyceride levels in the body. This results in lower blood pressure levels.
- Improves skin diseases- Sorrel leaves help in fighting all types of skin diseases like eczema, ringworm, etc. Being rich in vitamin C, it can provide up to 53% of the daily intake of vitamin C, which helps in the treatment of many skin issues. Sometimes dried leaves are used to treat itching and ringworms.
The ambadibhaji, soup or dried leaves are all very beneficial. One can learn how to make ambadichi bhaji from the internet and make such recipes easily at home offering good eating benefits for the health. It helps in strengthening bones, curing anaemia and many other health disorders. Adding these leaves to the diet is very easy as it can be transformed into many delicious dishes made very easily.